The mandate of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (the “WSIAT” or “Tribunal”) is to hear and decide appeals from final decisions of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (the “WSIB” or “Board”) and such other matters as are assigned under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
As an Adjudicative Agency within the Ontario administrative justice system, the Tribunal seeks to provide quality adjudication in workplace safety and insurance appeals in accordance with the principles of natural justice on a fair and timely basis. Its legislative interpretations should provide workers, employers, the Board, government and the public with a well-reasoned commentary on legislation in the workplace safety and insurance system.
The guiding principles of the Tribunal are:
- an accessible appeal system;
- superior quality service to workers, employers and other stakeholders;
- knowledgeable and experienced decision makers who can provide well-reasoned decisions;
- timely and efficient case processing;
- easy access to information about processes and compensation law; and
- effective and efficient co-ordination with workplace safety and insurance system partners in the administration of this system.
To view documents in Portable Document Format (PDF), you must have Acrobat Reader software (version 4 or higher), a free utility created by Adobe Systems®. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader, you can download the version you need for your computer.